Did you guys know the oceans contain 99% of the living space in the planet and over 200,000 identified species? Or that they absorb about 30% of carbon dioxide produced by us reducing the impacts of global warming? Yeah, neither did I. Besides my love and admiration of nature, I also keep learning new things every day. I try to research as much as I can, especially when it comes the impact of our steps on this planet. From brands that are natural, ocean-safe, and cruelty-free, to products that are sustainable, to hotels that are eco-friendly. There's honestly so much we can do and learn from each other during this chosen conscious journey. All we have to do is spend less time analyzing the meaning of life, and more time recognizing it when it stands right before us. Like the ocean. It beholds the secret to life and instead of protecting it, we are poisoning it with products we buy out of habit with zero clue that they may end up in our waters. Plastic bottles, plastic bags, plastic straws, plastic caps. Plastic! It's been said that enough plastic has been thrown away by us to circle the earth 4 times!!! That is plastic that takes up to 1000 years to degrade! And plastic that ends up floating in our oceans and killing thousands of species per year. Plastic bags, facial scrubs (YES! Those micro-beads are non-biodegradable!), shoes, plastic bottles and dishes, etc. Our trash is the leading cause of "44 percent of all seabird species, 22 percent of cetaceans, all sea turtle species and a growing list of fish species" being documented with plastic in or around their bodies. Luckily, like everything in life, there's a solution. We CAN put a stop to this and it all starts with our daily actions. Nope, you don't need to be a millionaire to make a difference in our world! Together, with baby steps, we can help heal and preserve our planet for our future generations. With that being said, here are some suggestions for you guys. I apply them to my day-to-day and they are easier than they seem. Trust me! Happy #WorldsOceanDay!
1) Ditch the plastic bottles and cups! I know it's hard. Specially when you're on the run. I've reduced my consumption of plastic bottles and cups significantly by taking my glass water bottle or flask with me everywhere. Here are two eco-friendly options that will make your life so much easier.
- BKR glass bottle (I have the 1L bottle, which means that refilling and drinking it twice per day gives me the recommended daily water dose. 2L for women. 3 L for men.)
- Fressko Bamboo glass flask (options for coffee/tea available as well)
2) Say no to plastic straws. This is a huge issue, guys! I've seen heartbreaking videos of rescuers taking plastic straws out of the nose of sea turtles! Please order paper straws or no straw at all whenever you get a drink. A friend of mine started a movement in Ecuador called #sinsorbeteporfavor (no straw please). Let's start something like that everywhere. What do you say?
3) Use beauty products labeled as ocean-safe. Specially sun-block! If not, the chemicals of whatever you put on your skin will end up in our waters and poison sea earthlings and reefs. Here are my favorite brands:
- Baiser Beauty (natural, eco, vegan and cruelty-free beauty products)
- Raw Elements (ocean-safe, natural and organic sunblock. Tinted one is the best one!)
- SpaRitual (best scrubs! No micro-beads but tons of brown sugar!!)
4) Recycle! Take your own bags when you go shopping and say no to plastic bags. 500 billion plastic bags are used annually worldwide. Time to put a stop to that!
5) Don't throw away things from your closet. They will end up in landfills. Donate them to people in need or give them a fashion makeover and keep using them. I've done that with most of my jeans (I have jeans from 6 years ago!), tees and even shoes! Grab some scissors, eco paint and go crazy!
6) Buy consciously! Choose brands that have nature and the community in mind. Brands that are using materials no one ever thought possible and are going beyond their ways to make a powerful statement. Brands that come up with products such as recycled plastic shoes or bags made from recycled plastic bottles or cork yoga mats. They exist! Here are some of the ones I adore, but you can also find more under the "Green Blog" tab or under "Kind Fashion".
- Melissa Shoes: beautiful and comfortable shoes made from recycled plastic. Company also reuses 99% of waste and unsold shoes from previous collections.
- Harveys: amazing bags made from car seat belts and recycled plastic bottle interior lining. Use code waterthruskin10 for discount
- Yoloha Yoga: yoga mats made from cork, which is a renewable source. No plastic!
- Inner Fire: yoga pants made from recycled plastic bottles
- Matt & Nat: bags made from vegan leather and recycled plastic bottle lining
- G-star Raw: jeans and clothing made from recycled plastic taken out of the oceans. LOVE this brand so much!!
7) Reduce your consumption of seafood. If you're not vegan yet, try to reduce it to 1-2 per week and see how you feel. That's how I started. It's hard, because most of us were probably raised eating meat and seafood on a daily basis, but it's worth it. By reducing our seafood consumption, we reduce the by-catch (whales, dolphins, seals and other animals that get caught in fish nets by mistake and are killed in the process) and the chance of depleting and killing our oceans.
8) Say no to aquariums and zoos and support animal-freedom activities when you travel. Go snorkeling in the ocean and interact with Nemo. Those memories are priceless! Read about my adventures with the wild here.
9) Keep your home eco-friendly. Click here to read the tips I recommend.
10) Spread the word!! Let's inspire each other and create a massive wave of awareness.